(8 replies, posted in wolfSSL)

Hi @akhi_gangwar,

Is it possible you have the setting #define WOLFSSL_USER_IO set? These errors would pop up if you had defined WOLFSSL_USER_IO and continued trying to compile wolfio.c and including wolfio.h. If you are using that setting you will need to register your own I/O callbacks and remove wolfio.c and wolfio.h from the build.

Warm Regards,

K

(4 replies, posted in wolfSSL)

Hi pbreed,

I think you're digging a little too deep. Assuming you are implementing a server given the desire to manage non-blocking reads on multiple connections am I right?

There is a unique port for each client connection with TLS and a unique WOLFSSL_OBJECT per connection. If the worker thread calls read on port X with WOLFSSL_OBJECT X and there is nothing to be read yet wolfSSL will just return a 0 or the number of bytes it was able to read to the application level, the application could then move on and call read on port Y with WOLFSSL_OBJECT Y to see if that one has data yet (or in the case of a previous partial read, finish what was reading whatever was missed the first time) and so on, once all active ports are checked loop back to the beginning and start over with any connections that didn't finish in the last iteration of the loop.

We have a non-blocking I/O example here you could start with as a base for your project: https://github.com/wolfSSL/wolfssl-exam … blocking.c

Can you tell us a bit about what you are working on and what is driving the effort?

- K

Hi nile,

Make sure that when you build the wolfssl64.sln in DLL mode you have updated the file wolfssl-root/IDE/WIN/user_settings.h with the define HAVE_ECC. Then make sure your application includes <wolfssl/wolfcrypt/settings.h> with WOLFSSL_USER_SETTINGS in the PreProcessor macros for your project.

Both library and application need to have HAVE_ECC defined.

Regards,

- K

Hi @teja,

Were you able to test our example? Was it able to connect?

Warm Regards,

K

@teja,

Have  you seen our simple non-blocking client example here: https://github.com/wolfSSL/wolfssl-exam … locking.c?

Perhaps give our example a try, (update the domain to the azure endpoint of course) and let us know if it connects OK.

Warm Regards,

K

Hi @teja,

Thank you so much for reaching out to wolfSSL. Can you tell us a bit about what you are working on and who this effort is for? Is this an evaluation of wolfSSL or something else?

Can you tell us what remote_address->port is set to in the below portion of your code? Is it 80 or 443?

server_addr.sin_family = AF_INET;
          server_addr.sin_port = htons(remote_address->port);
          server_addr.sin_addr.s_addr = htonl(host_ip_address);          
          sckt_conn_state = REQ_SCKT_CONNECT_STATE;

Regards,

K

(1 replies, posted in wolfSSL)

Hi @

As I had mentioned on https://www.wolfssl.com/forums/topic148 … urn-0.html regarding memory constraints. -125 is an out of memory error:

// From wolfssl-root/wolfssl/wolfcrypt/error-crypt.h

67     MEMORY_E           = -125,  /* out of memory error */

I realize that didn't turn out to be the initial error (which you resolved by setting up an entropy source) but the same recommendation holds for this error as well. Make sure you have setup sufficient heap/stack. Keep in mind that if you set configTOTAL_HEAP_SIZE to 30k and make your maintask stack size also 30k that task stack gets allocated from the total heap so you'll have no heap left at that point. Make sure to set the configTOTAL_HEAP_SIZE sufficiently large enough to allow for your task(s) stack(s) and also have heap remaining for other pvPortMalloc() calls.

Regards,

K

(3 replies, posted in wolfSSL)

@DAZHOU0424wupan

Thanks so much for the update, happy to hear you were able to resolve by setting up an entropy source!

-K

(3 replies, posted in wolfCrypt)

Z,

A pleasure, and great question by the way! Let us know if there is anything else we can assist with.

Can you tell us a bit about what it is you are working on that's driving this investigation? We love to hear about the new and exciting ways and products wolfSSL is being evaluated for!

Cheers,

K

(3 replies, posted in wolfSSL)

@BAZHOU0424wupan,

Can you tell us a bit about what is driving this project, what the end product will be and what it will do? Looking forward to hearing more!

When wolfSSL_new(ctx); returns a NULL this means there was not sufficient HEAP to allocate an SSL object. Check the (in FreeRTOS) configTOTAL_HEAP_SIZE setting in FreeRTOSConfig.h is set sufficiently high enough to support whatever task stack size you are setting (task stacks are allocated from the top level configTOTAL_HEAP_SIZE).

Next check what stack size was set in your call to "xTaskCreate" (usually in your main.c or application main etc). Try increasing the stack size set. Here is an example I use:

// modify desired_stack_size as needed, never touch actual_size
int desired_stack_size = 30; // I want my stack to be 30k

int actual_size = (desired_stack_size * 1024) / 4; // Note FreeRTOS stack is declared in 4-byte words so 30kb == (30*1024) / 4;

xTaskCreate(main_thread, "Main Thread", actual_size, NULL, 5, &main_thread_h) ;

Regards,

K

(3 replies, posted in wolfCrypt)

Hi @zkertesz,

The short answer is parallelization of the decrypts.

The software solution does an encrypt block by block and a decrypt block by block in sequence thus you see similar performance times. There is no way around the encrypt block by block in sequence because you can't encrypt the next block until the current block is finished (this is the whole point of "block chaining").

However when decrypting you can parallelize the decrypts because all blocks are already encrypted and to decrypt a given block you just need the block that preceeded it so let's imagine this scenario:

BlockA -> BlockB -> BlockC -> BlockD ->BlockE

During encryption you have to encrypt in sequence:
BlockA before you can encrypt BlockB, BlockB before BlockC and so on. HOWEVER not with decrypt.

During Decryption you can decypt BlockE using BlockD's encrypted version while at the same time decrypting BlockD with BlockCs' encrypted version while at the same time decrypting BlockC with BlockBs' encrypted version etc. It takes more memory because you load a copy of the encrypted BlockC for decrypting blockD while also loading another copy of encrypted BlockC to decrypt BlockC (hope this all makes sense).

Anyway long story short we could achieve something similar in Software also, we just have not yet added a parallelized software solution where the AESNI and intel hardware have implemented parallelized decrypt.

Hope this helps.

- K

(21 replies, posted in wolfSSL)

Ulysses,

Disregard, last. I just wrote a test app to check it and updating the factory post SSL object creation is now supported (that did not used to work but now does).

Can you check what your heap and stack configuration are set to? Is it simply failing to load due to a memory issue? I'll try loading the PEM buffer myself a little later today and post my results.

- K

Ulysses,

Can you enable DEBUG_WOLFSSL and send the log now with the changes we've made since your last log that showed there was an issue with the PEM header?

- K

@Ulysses,

Well it looks like we got past the no pem header issue, that's progress.

The cert is using sha1 (which is typically default disabled in wolfSSL), can you check if the setting NO_SHA is defined in your settings and comment it out if it is present?

Regards,

K

(2 replies, posted in wolfSSL)

Hi @sebdub79,

Thank you for reaching out to wolfSSL support. Can you tell us a bit of background on this project, what the product is and does?

Can you share what is driving this work?

We have not run into this issue in our own testing but we have not been testing with CISCO either. Can you provide a simple test application that could be compiled with both of the below commands to reproduce the issue for review and testing?

gcc test.c -o run-test -lssl -lcrypto

and

gcc test.c -o run-test -lwolfssl

Warm Regards,

KH

(1 replies, posted in wolfSSL)

@ElistonCole,

These are the wolfSSL forums so of course we're going to recommend wolfSSL. Let us know if you have any other questions, our support staff is happy to help if we can.

Cheers,

K

Not sure why it works on linux and not on your device, try this format, let me know if this helps:

const unsigned char tago_cert[] = "-----BEGIN CERTIFICATE-----\
MIIEDzCCAvegAwIBAgIBADANBgkqhkiG9w0BAQUFADBoMQswCQYDVQQGEwJVUzEl\
MCMGA1UEChMcU3RhcmZpZWxkIFRlY2hub2xvZ2llcywgSW5jLjEyMDAGA1UECxMp\
U3RhcmZpZWxkIENsYXNzIDIgQ2VydGlmaWNhdGlvbiBBdXRob3JpdHkwHhcNMDQw\
NjI5MTczOTE2WhcNMzQwNjI5MTczOTE2WjBoMQswCQYDVQQGEwJVUzElMCMGA1UE\
ChMcU3RhcmZpZWxkIFRlY2hub2xvZ2llcywgSW5jLjEyMDAGA1UECxMpU3RhcmZp\
ZWxkIENsYXNzIDIgQ2VydGlmaWNhdGlvbiBBdXRob3JpdHkwggEgMA0GCSqGSIb3\
DQEBAQUAA4IBDQAwggEIAoIBAQC3Msj+6XGmBIWtDBFk385N78gDGIc/oav7PKaf\
8MOh2tTYbitTkPskpD6E8J7oX+zlJ0T1KKY/e97gKvDIr1MvnsoFAZMej2YcOadN\
+lq2cwQlZut3f+dZxkqZJRRU6ybH838Z1TBwj6+wRir/resp7defqgSHo9T5iaU0\
X9tDkYI22WY8sbi5gv2cOj4QyDvvBmVmepsZGD3/cVE8MC5fvj13c7JdBmzDI1aa\
K4UmkhynArPkPw2vCHmCuDY96pzTNbO8acr1zJ3o/WSNF4Azbl5KXZnJHoe0nRrA\
1W4TNSNe35tfPe/W93bC6j67eA0cQmdrBNj41tpvi/JEoAGrAgEDo4HFMIHCMB0G\
A1UdDgQWBBS/X7fRzt0fhvRbVazc1xDCDqmI5zCBkgYDVR0jBIGKMIGHgBS/X7fR\
zt0fhvRbVazc1xDCDqmI56FspGowaDELMAkGA1UEBhMCVVMxJTAjBgNVBAoTHFN0\
YXJmaWVsZCBUZWNobm9sb2dpZXMsIEluYy4xMjAwBgNVBAsTKVN0YXJmaWVsZCBD\
bGFzcyAyIENlcnRpZmljYXRpb24gQXV0aG9yaXR5ggEAMAwGA1UdEwQFMAMBAf8w\
DQYJKoZIhvcNAQEFBQADggEBAAWdP4id0ckaVaGsafPzWdqbAYcaT1epoXkJKtv3\
L7IezMdeatiDh6GX70k1PncGQVhiv45YuApnP+yz3SFmH8lU+nLMPUxA2IGvd56D\
eruix/U0F47ZEUD0/CwqTRV/p2JdLiXTAAsgGh1o+Re49L2L7ShZ3U0WixeDyLJl\
xy16paq8U4Zt3VekyvggQQto8PT7dL5WXXp59fkdheMtlb71cZBDzI0fmgAKhynp\
VSJYACPq4xJDKVtHCN2MQWplBqjlIapBtJUhlbl90TSrE9atvNziPTnNvT51cKEY\
WQPJIrSPnNVeKtelttQKbfi3QBFGmh95DmK/D5fs4C8fF5Q=\
-----END CERTIFICATE-----";

// application code starts somewhere:

const byte* caCert = tago_cert;
    int caSz = sizeof(tago_cert);

if ((ret = wolfSSL_CTX_load_verify_buffer(wolfctx, caCert, caSz,
         SSL_FILETYPE_PEM)) != SSL_SUCCESS) { /* BUFFER */
        printf("loading the ca chain failed\n");
        printf("Error: (%d): %s\n", ret, wolfSSL_ERR_reason_error_string(ret));
        wolfSSL_CTX_free(wolfctx); wolfctx = NULL;
        return -1;
    }

Marco,

Can you share any details about what kind of problems you are seeing specifically? Or if it helps you can send on over the Arduino project and I'll try to compile it to re-produce the issues and see if a quick solution can be identified.

Cheers,

KH

This is happening on the call:

ret = wolfSSL_CTX_load_verify_buffer(wolfctx, tago_cert, sizeof(tago_cert), SSL_FILETYPE_PEM);

Make sure you include the PEM header in the buffer so it can parse properly when loaded.

It appears your buffer may be improperly formatted:

Couldn't find PEM header
PemToDer  -372

Hi @ulysses,

Can you try this with the default wolfSSL example first? I was able to succesffully test this by running the wolfSSL example client from the wolfssl root directory with the below command. NOTE: ~/Downloads/sf-class2-root.crt is the cert I provided a link to the other day.

clean-wolfssl % ./examples/client/client -h api.tago.io -p 443 -A ~/Downloads/sf-class2-root.crt -g

RESULT:

kalebhimes@kalebs-MBP clean-wolfssl % ./examples/client/client -h api.tago.io -p 443 -A ~/Downloads/sf-class2-root.crt -g
peer's cert info:
 issuer : /C=US/O=Amazon/OU=Server CA 1B/CN=Amazon
 subject: /CN=*.tago.io
 altname = tago.io
 altname = *.tago.io
 serial number:06:93:0c:85:14:dc:b7:9a:b1:2c:8b:cc:f6:50:43:e9 
SSL version is TLSv1.2
SSL cipher suite is TLS_ECDHE_RSA_WITH_AES_128_GCM_SHA256
SSL curve name is SECP256R1
Session timeout set to 500 seconds
Client Random : 441D4F0391C74FB9A052D190CC8A5CB5019CAEEB3FDE69515BFE71D6F0F932B5
SSL connect ok, sending GET...
HTTP/1.1 404 Not Found
Date: Thu, 09 Jan 2020 19:21:18 GMT
Content-Type: application/json
Content-Length: 43
Connection: cl
ose
Allow: OPTIONS

{"status":false,"message":"Page Not Found"}

- K

@Ulysses,

Often times it just takes a bit of research to track down the right one. Please try using this link to download the Root CA authority for the cert chain presented by the domain api.tago.io.

https://certs.secureserver.net/reposito … 2-root.crt

Let me know if loading the StarField Class 2 Root Certificate Trusted CA Root resolves the issue you are facing. I found the link in this article: https://aws.amazon.com/blogs/security/h … authority/

NOTE: The below screen shot from a browser may be what is causing the confusion, the browser is not showing the intermediate CA the server is also sending. If you sniff the connection in wireshark you'll see the whole chain which terminates in the cert:

Certificate:
    Data:
        Version: 3 (0x2)
        Serial Number:
            a7:0e:4a:4c:34:82:b7:7f
        Signature Algorithm: sha256WithRSAEncryption
        Issuer: C = US, O = "Starfield Technologies, Inc.", OU = Starfield Class 2 Certification Authority
        Validity
            Not Before: Sep  2 00:00:00 2009 GMT
            Not After : Jun 28 17:39:16 2034 GMT
        Subject: C = US, ST = Arizona, L = Scottsdale, O = "Starfield Technologies, Inc.", CN = Starfield Services Root Certificate Authority - G2

Note this is an intermediate CA that is cross-signing Amazon Root CA 1 so you need both the intermediate and Amazon Root CA 1 to validate Amazon Root CA 1 and you need the Starfield Class 2 Root CA to validate the above intermediate CA to complete the chain of trust.

Warm Regards,

K

@Ulysses,

The -155 no signer error indicates you have the wrong certificate loaded in as the root CA for that server. I just decoded the PEM buffer you are loading and the beginning contents is:

1 Certificate:
  2     Data:
  3         Version: 3 (0x2)
  4         Serial Number:
  5             06:7f:94:57:85:87:e8:ac:77:de:b2:53:32:5b:bc:99:8b:56:0d
  6         Signature Algorithm: sha256WithRSAEncryption
  7         Issuer: C = US, O = Amazon, CN = Amazon Root CA 1
  8         Validity
  9             Not Before: Oct 22 00:00:00 2015 GMT
 10             Not After : Oct 19 00:00:00 2025 GMT
 11         Subject: C = US, O = Amazon, OU = Server CA 1B, CN = Amazon

We can clearly see this is not a Root CA. This is an intermediate CA or a leaf cert because the subject and issuer lines do not match. You need the trusted root cert that signed the chain for this cert. Load the trusted root with wolfSSL_CTX_load_verify_locations and you should be all set!

Warm Regards,

K

Hi @ulysses,

I noticed you are connecting on port 80 (unsecured http). Could you try switching to port 443 (secure https) and let me know if that resolves the issue?

xConnection.sin_addr = FreeRTOS_gethostbyname("api.tago.io");
    xConnection.sin_port = FreeRTOS_htons( 80 ); // Change to port 443 and let us know if that helps!

Warmest Regards,

K

(2 replies, posted in wolfSSL)

@aahladh.g,

Thank you for the report, we are happy you were able to find a solution. We will review the wolfSSL_PEM_write_bio_PrivateKey() implementation in a future refactor, I don't have a timeline for that at this point.

For optimal response times feel free to contact us via support@wolfssl.com or through the zendesk portal at https://wolfssl.zendesk.com

Thank you for using the wolfSSL forums, we look forward to hearing from you in the future if anything else comes up!

Warmest Regards,

K