1 (edited by SteffenL 2013-07-18 08:18:49)

Topic: AES ECB?

Hello,

I'm working on a project that uses an SSL/crypto library, and I would like to make it compatible with wolfSSL embedded SSL as well. It makes use of AES encryption in ECB mode.

I was expecting functions named AesEcbEncrypt and AesEcbDecrypt, so I'm not quite sure how to do this correctly with wolfSSL. I did see the functions AES_ECB_encrypt/AES_ECB_decrypt.

I use mostly default settings when compiling wolfSSL.

Thank you in advance! smile

Re: AES ECB?

Hi Steffen,

wolfSSL doesn't currently support AES-ECB mode of operation.  We do support AES in CBC, CTR, GCM, and CCM modes though.  ECB (Electronic codebook) mode is not regarded as very secure.  If you take a look at the penguin image on the following Wikipedia page under the "ECB" section, you will see that it doesn't hide patterns very well:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Block_cip … _operation

Best Regards,
Chris

Thank you for the reply, Chris!

Unfortunately, I have to adapt to a 3rd party system and whatever it uses.

If it requires a lot of effort to support the ECB mode, then please don't worry about it. Sadly, I must give up on using wolfSSL this time.

Thanks, again. smile

Calling AesEncryptDirect() and AesDecryptDirect() provide AES-ECB mode.

Thank you very much, John!

Since these functions are not compiled by default, is there anything I should consider before/while using them (except that ECB mode isn't secure enough)?

I've confirmed that they work fine, but I guess there's a different reason why they're not compiled by default?

Thank you! smile

Most projects don't use them directly. We try to wrap optional code with preprocessor switches to make the build smaller for resource constrained embedded systems.

I see. Thanks. smile

You may know this already, but these functions and the ECB mode doesn't appear to be documented in the manual. smile

You're welcome.

They intentionally undocumented. ECB mode isn't very secure and we encourage use of the other modes.

9 (edited by SteffenL 2013-07-23 11:10:34)

I see. Thanks.

I (as a user of the library) would actually very much appreciate the documentation regardless (with warnings if you prefer). If I have to use the ECB mode, then it's good to know that I *can* use wolfSSL after all, instead of looking elsewhere (wasting time and efforts).

When it's a matter of either using wolfSSL or ditching it completely for one of your competitors' library, don't you think everyone will benefit from this being documented? They've documented this, and I was close to ditch wolfSSL for my current project. smile

I think it would make your manual even more valuable if you had the documentation, warning/suggestion, etc. It allows it to teach its readers something important, if they happen to not know that ECB mode is insecure. I'm not suggesting that a whole page with details about this should be written.

What do you think? smile