Topic: how to configure woflssl for vxworks 6.6 build

All:

I would like to configure/compile WolfSSL for vxWorks 6.6: in particular libwolfssl. Where do I start? The documentation indicates that this is supported, but I have failed to find where/how this is done. I read all the forum posts concerning vxworks: that was no help. I looked through ./configure and grep-‘d for vxworks: nothing helpful. It might be right in front of me but I am not seeing it.

Thanks and Cheers.

SWS

Re: how to configure woflssl for vxworks 6.6 build

Hi SWS,

wolfSSL has a define specific to compiling for VxWorks, called WOLFSSL_VXWORKS.  You will want to define this when compiling the wolfSSL library.

We also have a define called VXWORKS_SIM which should be defined if compiling for use with the VxWorks simulator instead.

Let us know if you run across any issues when compiling and we'll be happy to do our best to help.

Best Regards,
Chris

Chris:

I appended -DWOLFSSL_VXWORKS to CFLAGS in Makefile. After a make clean and make, this just generated a bunch of errors. I am not sure what to try next. I am guessing that there is no ./Configure option for vxworks (I saw none)? This seems like the place to make changes when moving from one platform to another, but I could be wrong.

Thanks.

SWS

Hi SWS,

When we ported wolfSSL to VxWorks we were using the Wind River Workbench.  Instructions on how we did that previously can be found in the following file located in the wolfSSL download:

<wolfssl_package>/IDE/WORKBENCH/README.md

Alternatively, if you have a VxWorks toolchain set up, you should be able to use the Autoconf (./configure) system to cross compile wolfSSL for VxWorks following steps similar to those in Section 2.6 of the wolfSSL Manual [1], ex:

./configure --host=<your-host> CC=<your-cc> LD=<your-ld> AR=<your-ar> RANLIB=<your-ranlib> C_EXTRA_FLAGS="-DWOLFSSL_VXWORKS".

If you can elaborate on the errors you were seeing, I can try to help you through those as well.

Best Regards,
Chris

[1] https://www.wolfssl.com/wolfSSL/Docs-wo … lfssl.html

Chris:

Thanks for your offer to help!

I have previously looked at the build page you kindly linked in the previous post. We are doing command line builds only, so I do not have the option of doing a Workbench build.

I am failing to communicate well because it seems that we are talking past each other.

Out of the box, it was easy to configure and build wolfssl in my Linux environment (RHEL 5.11): I had some tweaking to do, but it was not bad.

Out of the box is a fast dead end for vxWorks (any version). I looked at the configuration file and get confused (and disillusioned): it is 30000+ lines of text that I do not have time to parse. I am familiar enough with the make system to be able to stumble through setting variables (like I did for the Linux configuration), but have no clue to how to proceed for a vxworks configuration.

I am a flat out nube when it comes to configurating (sp??).

Cheers.

SWS

Hi SWS,

You mentioned that you are doing command line builds.  Does this mean you are cross compiling, or are you compiling directly inside a VxWorks environment with gcc/ld/etc available?

If you can send me a snapshot of the steps you took to try and compile, along with the errors you are seeing, we can go from there.

Thanks,
Chris