Topic: WolfSSL with ATECC508A on STM32F0

I'm trying to use WolfSSL on the STM32F0 using the acceleration from ATECC508A. The stm32f0discovery  dev board I am using is very memory limited, (64kb flash, 8kb RAM) and it seems it' not even within the default WolfSSL STM32 possible configurations (the lowest is STM32F1).

Anyways, I added some headers for it, I build it and wrote a HAL for the cryptauthlib on STM32.

My questions now are:

1) Would WolfSSL be able to fit in such a small footprint device? I intend to use it for DTLS.

2) I'm having some issues with the initialization for the ATECC508A, I have communication with the chip for sure, I see message-response flying through the bus lines that make sense, but in the call to atmel_init_enc_key(), the write request happens (I get ack on the bus) but the response is negative, with WC_HW_E (getting translated from atcab layer error ATCA_EXECUTION_ERROR)  - it seems that the chip us unable to write the key that comes from WolfSSL. Anybody have any experience with this?

Re: WolfSSL with ATECC508A on STM32F0

After grabbing a SAMD21  I wanted to build your ATECC508A using atmel studio, but the build fails, using the latest AtmelStudio. I just opened the project and tried building. Is there any catch to this?

Hi vladr,

Thank you for reaching out to wolfSSL. Just to confirm, you are working with the Microchip_ATECC_Demos.zip from our more downloads page at the following link correct? https://www.wolfssl.com/download/downloadMoreForm.php

As noted in the README for the tls_demo the following Atmel Studio versions are supported:

## Prerequisites for this demo

Software:

- Atmel Studio 6.2 or
  - Atmel Studio 7

Hardware:

- Atmel SAMD21 Xplained Pro(2 pcs)
  - Atmel CryptoAuth Xplained Pro extension board(2 pcs)
  - Atmel WINC1500 extension board(2 pcs)

Does your setup match the pre-reqs for the demo? Also if you can share exactly what it is you are seeing that would be helpful for us to assist in diagnosing the issue, thanks!

- K

Hello Kaleb,

In my attempts to build the ATECC508 demo I had used Atmel Studio v7.0.1931. The project zip I had was called Atmel_ATECC508_Demos so I guess there was a rename at some point in time. Regardless, I downloaded the zip you pointed me to and it was bit for bit identical with what I had, only the name was different.

Just opening the project with Atmel Studio and running a project build, I got a unch of errors. The first one I got was here:

C:\ToolsLibsKits\Microchip_ATECC_Demos\Microchip_ATECC_Demos\ASF\sam0\drivers\rtc\rtc_count_interrupt.h(80,8): warning: 'enum rtc_count_callback' declared inside parameter list will not be visible outside of this definition or declaration
           enum rtc_count_callback callback_type);
                ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
C:\ToolsLibsKits\Microchip_ATECC_Demos\Microchip_ATECC_Demos\ASF\sam0\drivers\rtc\rtc_sam_d_r_h\rtc_count_interrupt.c(69,3): error: unknown type name 'rtc_count_callback_t'
           rtc_count_callback_t callback,

It seems these errors come from the ASF, NOT from WolfSSL, I think some configuration options don't get propagated properly, since the types it's complaining about are found in the project headers, only just don't get included somehow. I don't think this is on WolfSSL itself but on the demo project configuration.

So I managed to build the demo project, I had to add the following define in the compile options:

RTC_COUNT_ASYNC=true

I don't know where it's supposed to come from normally, but with it compilation worked.

After that, I got errors on build because the binary didn't fit on target, so I disabled a couple of options, and _then_ I was able to debug.