1 (edited by ballsmahoney90 2020-03-17 19:13:03)

Topic: [SOLVED] Confusion about include path

In Chapter 2.4.5 of the wolfSSL-Manual:
"WOLFSSL_USER_SETTINGS if defined allows a user specific settings file to be
used. The file must be named “user_settings.h” and exist in the include path.
This is included prior to the standard “settings.h” file, so default settings can be
overridden."

What (and where) exactly is the include path? I am having all sorts of errors because I am not completely sure where this header file needs to be included. Can anyone point me in the proper direction? I have included my current errors and paths I have tried.

Thank you very much.

Post's attachments

wolfsslerror.png
wolfsslerror.png 629.63 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Re: [SOLVED] Confusion about include path

Hi @ballsmahoney90,

The include path is a system path that includes various locations where a C compiler might look for headers for example if the system CFLAGS or PATH contains the directory /my/directory and inside of /my/directory there exists an "include" directory your system would have:

/my/directory/include

The C compiler would know about /my/directory so when a .c source file in your application has the directive "#include <myheader.h> the compiler will look for a file named "myheader.h" inside of /my/directory/include/ if it finds it the header will be included, if not an error will be reported.

I see you are running the "make command" as a sudo command too, this is a very bad idea as the resulting executables will all have root access and can only be executed by a root user. root also does not have the same paths as the local user so. Instead run ./configure then make without sudo and only once the application is built would you then want to do "sudo make install".

To help the C compiler find your user_settings.h you can update the CFLAG using the -I (capitol "eye" for Include) directive. For example if I have user_settings.h in /home/kaleb/work/test-location and my Makefile looks like below it won't be able to find my header:

CC=gcc
KALEBS_LIB_DIR=/home/kaleb/work/testDir/wolf-install-dir-for-testing
CFLAGS=-I$(KALEBS_LIB_DIR)/include -Wall
LIBS= -L$(KALEBS_LIB_DIR)/lib -lwolfssl

aes-file-encrypt: aes-file-encrypt.o
    $(CC) -o $@ $^ $(CFLAGS) $(LIBS) 

.PHONY: clean

clean:
    rm -f *.o aes-file-encrypt

Now to update my Makefile so it can find my user_settings.h in /home/kaleb/work/test-location

CC=gcc
KALEBS_LIB_DIR=/home/kaleb/work/test-location
CFLAGS=-I$(KALEBS_LIB_DIR)/include -Wall
LIBS= -L$(KALEBS_LIB_DIR)/lib -lwolfssl

aes-file-encrypt: aes-file-encrypt.o
    $(CC) -o $@ $^ $(CFLAGS) $(LIBS) 

.PHONY: clean

clean:
    rm -f *.o aes-file-encrypt

If you are trying to use a user_settings.h with the configure script I would not recommend that approach instead when using the configure script it will generate the file <wolfssl/options.h> which is the replacement for user_settings.h when building with ./configure.

Warm Regards,

K

3 (edited by ballsmahoney90 2020-03-18 15:48:28)

One problem I have is running wolfssl in a petalinux environment, and I don't believe we are supposed to be editing the makefile for wolfssl. At the moment, I am still confused where to put user_settings.h. I appreciate your response, but is there a way to define where the user_settings.h file is in the ./configure command. Another problem I have is that if I compile without any configure options (which is successful), the compiler cannot find the header files linked despite using -l wolfssl and -l <libraries I have tried>.

My script that I am running to link the wolfssl library to our compiler during :

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

sudo apt-get install -y git autoconf libtool

cd
git clone https://github.com/wolfssl/wolfssl.git
cd ~/wolfssl
./autogen.sh
./configure --enable-aesccm

make
sudo make install

sudo ldconfig

Which results in the error attached above. What do you recommend as a better method than running ./configure, that would work in a petalinux based environment?

ballsmahoney90,

I apologize if you didn't see the last sentence or if it was unclear. Do not use user_settings.h when using the ./configure command. Instead just have your application include <wolfssl/options.h> which is automatically generated by the configure script.

user_settings.h is ONLY used when ./configure is not available.

Warm Regards,

K