1 (edited by bstraehl 2021-01-13 05:57:32)

Topic: PKCS#7 CMS detached signature verification failure (ASN_PARSE_E)

I try to do a verification of a detached PKCS#7 CMS signature. The verification fails with ASN_PARSE_E (-140). I'm using function wc_PKCS7_VerifySignedData_ex. The reason why it fails is an ASN.1 parsing synchronization error. It happens after the failing attempt to read non-existing signed data (after object 1.2.840.113549.1.7.1) from the signature. Instead on this position the sequence of certificates begins, but wc_PKCS7_VerifySignedData_ex already returned with ASN_PARSE_E. In my opinion, wc_PKCS7_VerifySignedData_ex should be able to handle both situations. Either there is signed data OR an implicit[0] set of certificates.

Please find attached the binary (its SHA256 was used for signing) and the resulting signature.

I used wolfSSL from https://github.com/wolfSSL/wolfssl commit: c57fee136a40f7dcd2c8315a3c6bfe602ca98b8c

Post's attachments

signature_and_binary.zip 4.87 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

2 (edited by bstraehl 2021-01-15 08:18:01)

Re: PKCS#7 CMS detached signature verification failure (ASN_PARSE_E)

I attached my test application here.

Post's attachments

main.c 2.45 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Hi bstraehl,

Thanks for attaching your test application.  We'll look into this and get back to you shortly.

Best Regards,
Chris

Hello Chris

Are there any news in this concern? If it is of any help, I have a version of the function wc_PKCS7_VerifySignedData that works. I fixed the issue mainly by removing the code, which deals with the interpretation of the embedded signed data.

Best regards,
Beat