1 (edited by beaveryoga 2021-09-05 07:34:49)

Topic: wolfSSL_CTX _set_servername_calback: virtual hosting revisited

Where is wolfSSL_CTX_set_servername_callback documented with examples?

Google searches for SNI/virtual hosting support in a wolfSSL-based server directed us to peek at the ClientHello raw bytes
and use wolfSSL_SNI_GetFromBuffer() to detect the server_name extension.

But...wolfSSL has wolfSSL_CTX_set_servername_callback: this does not seem to be documented anywhere.

Does this mean that to support virtuall hosts we can:
1. Set  a default wolfSSL_CTX for the initial listen/accept connection
2. Use  servername callback to swap out the original wolfSSL_CTX with wolfSSL_set_SSL_CTX if we want to use different credentials (key/cert)

This is the standard method in OpenSSL virtual hosting and I wanted to confirm that wolfSSL supports this pattern.

I discovered this when reading the code for OpenSIPS which uses wolfSSL exactly in the way to support virtual hosting.

It is surprising that when wolfSSL and SNI/virtual hosting is raised this function is never mentioned.

Re: wolfSSL_CTX _set_servername_calback: virtual hosting revisited

Hello beaveryoga,

Thanks for joining the forums. This functionality was added to enable openSSL compatibility. It looks like the proper API is `wolfSSL_CTX_set_tlsext_servername_callback`, which is nearly identical to `wolfSSL_CTX_set_servername_callback`.

I could not find any openSSL examples of using `SSL_CTX_set_servername_callback`. I'll check with the n team to see if there is more info to share.

Thanks,
Eric @ wolfSSL Support

wolfSSL has two functions with and without the

_tlsext_

part.

void wolfSSL_CTX_set_servername_callback(WOLFSSL_CTX* ctx, CallbackSniRecv cb)
{
    WOLFSSL_ENTER("wolfSSL_CTX_set_servername_callback");
    if (ctx)
        ctx->sniRecvCb = cb;
}

int wolfSSL_CTX_set_tlsext_servername_callback(WOLFSSL_CTX* ctx,
                                               CallbackSniRecv cb)
{
    WOLFSSL_ENTER("wolfSSL_CTX_set_tlsext_servername_callback");
    if (ctx) {
        ctx->sniRecvCb = cb;
        return WOLFSSL_SUCCESS;
    }
    return WOLFSSL_FAILURE;
}

OpenSSL uses only one name with

_tlsext_

So just to confirm that this is the official way to support SNI instead of peeking at raw ClientHello bytes?

From the server side, yes, the callback allows the server to handle the incoming SNI extension form the client.