Topic: Simultaneously running TLS client and server - how?

Hi, I have a use case where a device needs to simultaneously support both incoming and outgoing TCP connections, for different protocols, all encrypted by TLS. I.e., it needs to act as both a TLS server and client at the same time. I saw the discussion in https://www.wolfssl.com/forums/topic152 … ient.html, i.e use WOLFSSL_EITHER_SIDE and to create a generic context , but "the context role (client or server) is determined on the first connect" makes me believe that this is not sufficient for me.

I need to be able to set up a TLS server using accept() for a couple of protocols and handle incoming connections, and unrelated to this, act as a TLS client and initiate outgoing connect()s for another couple of protocols.

I have successfully implemented the client side, but now I'm not sure how to proceed. I have tried fooling around with creating both a server- and a client context for parallel use, but so far have not managed to make it work. The provided examples all seem to be either clients or servers only.

Is this use case supported by wolfSSL? If so you have any hints on how to make it work?

2 (edited by jacob.andersen 2024-04-24 05:21:36)

Re: Simultaneously running TLS client and server - how?

[Edit: Using wolfSSL 5.7.0]

I can add that I just tried using a single context created thus:

WOLFSSL_METHOD *method = wolfTLSv1_3_method();
  if ((tcp_tlsCTX = wolfSSL_CTX_new(method)) == NULL)
[...]

Examining the contents of the tcp_tlsCTX object I can see that tcp_tlsCTX->method->side == 3 (either side) just before I do

WOLFSSL *ssl = wolfSSL_new(tcp_tlsCTX);
  ret = wolfSSL_accept_TLSv13(ssl);

But wolfSSL_accept_TLSv13() does not seem to have this piece of code that wolfSSL_accept() does:

#if defined(OPENSSL_EXTRA) || defined(WOLFSSL_EITHER_SIDE)
        if (ssl->options.side == WOLFSSL_NEITHER_END) {
            WOLFSSL_MSG("Setting WOLFSSL_SSL to be server side");
            ssl->error = InitSSL_Side(ssl, WOLFSSL_SERVER_END);
            if (ssl->error != WOLFSSL_SUCCESS) {
                WOLFSSL_ERROR(ssl->error);
                return WOLFSSL_FATAL_ERROR;
            }
            ssl->error = 0; /* expected to be zero here */
        }
    #endif /* OPENSSL_EXTRA || WOLFSSL_EITHER_SIDE */

Thus I promptly get an -344 wrong side error from wolfSSL_accept_TLSv13(). I cannot seem to find anything in the documentation about this, is it by design or a bug?

Hi jacob.andersen,

My name is Anthony and I am a member of the wolfSSL team.

I don't think I understand enough about your use case.  Is there any reason both the server and client would need to share the same context and ssl structs? 

I'd also need to know more about your system and platform.  For example, if this were linux then you have processes and it would be easy to set this up as separate applications. I think it would even be simple if your system only had threads.  I realize I am asking for information that you might not want to reveal on a public forum.  If you would like to talk about this in a more confidential medium, please send an email message to support@wolfssl.com referencing this post.

Warm regards, Anthony

"Is there any reason both the server and client would need to share the same context and ssl structs?"

The device runs a custom RTOS (not Linux), and all TCP/IP communication is run in a single task. Like I said, my first approach was to create two separate WOLFSSL_CTX objects in the same task context and I experienced problems, but of course that could be my own fault. I'm just wondering if this is a correct way to do it, so that I don't run too far down a blind alley.

I don't see any example of doing this in the example code or documentation, which makes me nervous.

Hi jacob.andersen,

Yes, the correct way would be 2 separate context objects. Please try that and let us know how it goes.

Warm regards, Anthony

Thanks Anthony, seems I had a problem on my side (duh). I got it to work fine with two separate context objects after some semi-related changes!