Hi David,

Thanks for the quick responce!

For starters I downloaded Atmel_ATECC508_Demos.zip and am debugging/building for the samd21 with Atmel Studio 7. My hardware setup is as follows:

• SAMD21XPLAINED PRO

• WINC1500 XPRO

• CRYPTOAUTH XPRO

I defined DEBUG_WOLFSSL in user_settings.h and called wolfSSL_Debugging_ON() at the very beginning of both tls_start_server and tls_start_client. Unfortunately the resulting log outputs were identical. You mentioned the importance of placing this function before wolfSSL_init() and i'm starting to think that might be related to the hardfault.

I spent some time debugging the project and found that breakpoints set in wolfSSL_init() never triggered before the hardfault. The hardfault address evaluated to atGetExecTime() at the evaluation of cacmd->execution_times[cmd]. I set breakpoint and found that the first call to this function is evaluating a NULL ATCACommand, resulting in the hardfault. This is the (formated) call stack at that moment:

>    client.elf! atGetExecTime()              atca_command.c:630    
     client.elf! atcab_read_zone()            atca_basic.c:1100    
     client.elf! atcacert_read_cert()         atcacert_client.c:87    
     client.elf! tls_build_signer_ca_cert()   tls_common.c:578    
     client.elf! tls_start_client()           tls_client.c:411    
     client.elf! main() Line: 193                

It seems that the function is passed _gCommandObj which has yet to be initialized to a valid pointer. This seems to occurs in atcab_init() or atcab_init_device(). As far as I can tell neither of these functions are called until later in tls_start_*, within tls_load_wolfssl_objects(), which calls wolfSSL_Init().

Hopefully this debug info is helpful. It seems like I'm missing something, but after debugging for a while I still can't figure out what. If you have any other suggestions let me know.

Hello all,

I was hoping to evaluatie WolfSSL + ATECC508, so I went ahead and purchased the hardware listed as requirements in  https://www.wolfssl.com/wolfSSL/wolfssl-atmel.html in an attempt to test the first example (client/server). After building the associated projects and flashing the devices I see the client open a socket with the server before both devices hardfault. As far as I can tell, there appears to be an uninitialized memory access causing this fault. I see the following output:

-- TLS SERVER starts with ATECC508A over WINC module --
(APP)(INFO)Chip ID 1503a0
(APP)(INFO)Firmware ver   : 19.3.0
(APP)(INFO)Min driver ver : 19.3.0
(APP)(INFO)Curr driver ver: 19.3.0
M2M_WIFI_RESP_CON_STATE_CHANGED: CONNECTED
M2M_WIFI_REQ_DHCP_CONF: IP is 10.1.4.119
WINC is connected to TempE successfully!
Socket Event : BIND socket event
socket callback : bind success!
Socket Event : LISTEN socket event
socket callback : listen success!
Socket Event : ACCEPT socket event
socket callback : accept success!

Hard fault handler (all numbers in hex):
R0 = 0
R1 = f
R2 = 2deb5
R3 = 2ded3
R12 = ca62c1d6
LR [R14] = 22aa7  subroutine call return address
PC [R15] = 2135a  program counter
PSR = 1000000
CFSR = 0
HFSR = 0
DFSR = 0
AFSR = 0
MMAR = 0
BFAR = 0

Is there modifications or perhaps a missing build step that I am missing? Alternatively is there a specific version of atmel studio that is recommended for evaluating this demo? Another post (https://www.wolfssl.com/forums/topic965 … c508a.html) mentioned this port may not be completely finished. I did however see example output in the Readme that leads me to believe I have made a mistake somewhere along the line.

If anyone has had success with this example I would really appreciate the help getting past this point.

Thanks,

-Nathan