WolfSSL 3.15.5 compiled as follow:

cd wolfssl-3.15.5
./configure CFLAGS=-DWOLFSSL_STATIC_RSA \
--enable-all \
--enable-tls13 
make

Do not allow to connect to hosts
dev.ssllabs.com and i0.wp.com with TLS 1.3

examples/client/.libs/client -S dev.ssllabs.com -h dev.ssllabs.com  -p 443 -d -x -C -g -i -v 4
wolfSSL_connect error -424, Extension type not allowed in handshake message type
wolfSSL error: wolfSSL_connect failed

examples/client/.libs/client -S i0.wp.com -h i0.wp.com  -p 443 -d -x -C -g -i -v 4
peer's cert info:
issuer : /C=US/ST=Arizona/L=Scottsdale/O=GoDaddy.com, Inc./OU=http://certs.godaddy.com/repository//CN=Go Daddy Secure Certificate Authority - G2
subject: /OU=Domain Control Validated/CN=*.wp.com
altname = wp.com
altname = *.wp.com
serial number:68:86:4a:83:77:1a:bb:7d
SSL version is TLSv1.3
SSL cipher suite is TLS_AES_128_GCM_SHA256
SSL curve name is SECP256R1
Client Random : 7E84EF48D807C5269C50DD5B3DEEDF3D4B4672A43E74BC8841DC4C0867A741D4
SSL connect ok, sending GET...
SSL_read reply error -425, The security parameter is invalid
wolfSSL error: SSL_read failed

Could you please check this?

Best Regards,
SamSam

Re: Unable to connect to dev.ssllabs.com and i0.wp.com hosts via TLS 1.3

Hi SamSam,

examples/client/.libs/client -S dev.ssllabs.com -h dev.ssllabs.com  -p 443 -d -x -C -g -i -v 4
wolfSSL_connect error -424, Extension type not allowed in handshake message type
wolfSSL error: wolfSSL_connect failed

I just reviewed dev.ssllabs.com domain, they do not support TLS v1.3 so this is an expected result. Interestingly I can even scan their own website with their own tool to show this:

https://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest/analyze … 130.202.77

Configuration

Protocols
TLS 1.3    No
TLS 1.2    Yes
TLS 1.1    Yes
TLS 1.0    Yes
SSL 3    No
SSL 2    No
For TLS 1.3 tests, we only support RFC 8446.

So they have added support to their tool for detecting TLS1.3 but their servers do not yet support TLS1.3 connections!

examples/client/.libs/client -S i0.wp.com -h i0.wp.com  -p 443 -d -x -C -g -i -v 4
peer's cert info:
issuer : /C=US/ST=Arizona/L=Scottsdale/O=GoDaddy.com, Inc./OU=http://certs.godaddy.com/repository//CN=Go Daddy Secure Certificate Authority - G2
altname = wp.com
altname = *.wp.com
SSL version is TLSv1.3
SSL cipher suite is TLS_AES_128_GCM_SHA256
SSL curve name is SECP256R1
Client Random : 7E84EF48D807C5269C50DD5B3DEEDF3D4B4672A43E74BC8841DC4C0867A741D4
wolfSSL error: SSL_read failed

This is a valid and successful TLS 1.3 connection! You have sent a "HTTP GET request" with the -g option which the server processes AFTER the connection has already succeeded and it is the get request that the server doesn't like. If you visit that domain in a browser all you will see is the message "Sorry, the parameters you provided were not valid". So whatever service is running at that domain wants something specific, maybe a custom protocol, maybe a user-name and password, not sure but as for as the TLS goes it worked splendidly! (See attached wireshark). What is interesting in the wireshark is that i0.wp.com shows up as IP 192.0.77.2 which shouldn't be a DNS resolvable domain. Not sure what's there but it may not be a safe service to use for testing.

Cheers,

K

Post's attachments

test-against-i0-wp-com-w-TLS13.pcapng 8.93 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Hi SamSam,

Can you share a bit about what it is you're working on and end goals?

- K

4 (edited by SamSam 2018-12-10 22:12:19)

Hello Kaleb J. Himes,

Thank you for your answer. Unfortunately, I can not agree with the results of your investigation.

Regarding i0.wp.com:

When you connect using TLS 1.2 then there is no TLS error, and you can get HTTP response as follow:

LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/mnt/raw/e2ibuildenv/wolfssl/out/i686/lib/ ./examples/client/.libs/client -S i0.wp.com -h i0.wp.com  -p 443 -d -x -C -g -i -v 3
Session Ticket CB: ticketSz = 192, ctx = initial session
peer's cert info:
 altname = wp.com
 altname = *.wp.com
SSL version is TLSv1.2
SSL cipher suite is TLS_ECDHE_RSA_WITH_AES_128_GCM_SHA256
SSL curve name is X25519
Client Random : F73F976937698B8DF04965E6B80D5AA158A4938A28B1153D881AA138E63BA8EB
HTTP/1.1 403 Forbidden
Server: nginx
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2018 04:56:07 GMT
Con
tent-Type: text/html
Content-Length: 37
Connection: close

Direct IP/Hostna

Generally the problem is because you can NOT get HTTP response from i0.wp.com using  -v d, but you can when you manually force -v 3

Could you please take, a look once again on i0.wp.com host? In the browser, yes you got the message:

Sorry, the parameters you provided were not valid

but this HTTP response and this is expected, there is NO SSL error.

With WolfSSL and option -v d or -v 4 ( when TLS 1.3 is used) it fails with:
this is SSL error.

you will be able to get HTTP response also using WolfSSL when you force TLS 1.2, but in this case you must do this manually.

Regarding your question. Please find my answer in the following post:
https://www.wolfssl.com/forums/post4111.html#p4111

Thank you,
SamSam

Hey SamSam,

I found what is happening, the server is returning a nonce size of 8 post-handshake and wolfSSL has a limit of 4 set. I have reached out to our TLS 1.3 engineer for input on your report. Please expect an update from Sean soon.

- K

Hi SamSam

Thanks for reporting this issue!
The default maximum ticket size as Kaleb has said was 4 bytes and needs to be 8 bytes.
This was chosen based on interoperability testing and that it doesn't really need to be a bigger than that!
The TLS 1.3 specification allows for the nonce to be up to 255 bytes.
I've put up a pull request, #1973, that changes the maximum to 8 bytes. I was able to connect to the i0.wp.com website.
The pull request will be merged into master soon.

Thanks,
Sean

--
Sean Parkinson, wolfSSL

Hello,

Thank you very much for your help.
It is a pleasure to use your library.

Best Regards,
Sam