1 (edited by mmhorii 2013-02-28 17:50:06)

Topic: Some suggestions & questions for wolfSSL User Manual, tutorial section

Hi,

After working my way through the tutorial that's in the wolfSSL User Manual, I have a few suggestions as well as questions.

1. In Section 11.5, the text states that for *nix systems, the following command sequence should be used to build the project:

./configure
make

This did not work for me. I had to use the command

autoreconf

before calling

make

After I did that, everything worked fine. Is this a platform-specific difference?

2. In Section 11.6, the text states that the reader should

change directory (cd) to either the echoclient or echoserver directory and run 'make'.

I think it would be clearer if the text specifies that the reader should cd into the original_src/echoclient or original_src/echoserver.

3. In Section 11.7, the text shows a command for linking the wolfSSL library to the echoserver:

gcc -o echoserver ../lib/*.c tcpserv04.c -I ../include -lm -lwolfssl

This didn't work for me. I found I had to modify the command by adding -L/usr/local/lib:

gcc -o echoserver ../lib/*.c tcpserv04.c -I ../include -lm -L/usr/local/lib/ -lwolfssl

Is this a platform-specific difference?

4. I wanted to be able to work through the tutorial using Win32 first, and using Cygwin second. Using Cygwin was fine, but I wasn't able to figure out how to do the steps using Win32 and Microsoft Visual Studio. I could build the wolfSSL solution and run the testsuite successfully with no failures, but the tutorial doesn't seem to provide the steps necessary to follow the echoserver and echoclient tutorial using Visual Studio. Is the tutorial code actually compatible with Win32? For example, the unp.h file has an #include for sys/socket.h, that I wasn't aware was available for Windows.

I assume I need to create two new projects, one for echoserver and the other for echoclient, and then link the required libraries. It would be nice to have the Win32 steps in the tutorial along with the *nix steps. I still have yet to get the tutorial working using Visual Studio, so any advice would be much appreciated!

Re: Some suggestions & questions for wolfSSL User Manual, tutorial section

Hi,

Thanks for the feedback on our SSL Tutorial.  We're always excited to see people using it to learn about wolfSSL embedded SSL, or integrating SSL into an application.  We also value feedback to make the tutorial easier to understand for future readers.

This did not work for me. I had to use the command

autoreconf

Which version of wolfSSL were you using?  Were you using 2.5.0 from our website, or our version from GitHub?  If you're using our version from GitHub, you'll need to do:

./autogen.sh

before continuing with:

./configure
make

If you were using 2.5.0, which OS are you using to build wolfSSL?

I think it would be clearer if the text specifies that the reader should cd into the original_src/echoclient or original_src/echoserver.

Good feedback, we'll make this change.

This didn't work for me. I found I had to modify the command by adding -L/usr/local/lib

The tutorial left off the "-L/usr/local/lib" because "/usr/local/lib" is usually already in the library search path.  It must not be in your library search path by default.  I guess it would be good to add a comment about this in the tutorial.  I'll make sure one gets added.

I wanted to be able to work through the tutorial using Win32 first, and using Cygwin second.

The tutorial is currently only targeted at a Unix-like environment (as it is based off the example provided in the "Unix Network Programming" book).  Adding Windows support is something that I will add to our list of TODO's for the tutorial when we get time.

Thanks,
Chris C.

Re: Some suggestions & questions for wolfSSL User Manual, tutorial section

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your answers--I appreciate it!

I don't recall if I downloaded wolfSSL 2.5.0 from the website or from GitHub, but in any case, if there are differences in the build instructions, maybe it would be good for the manual to reflect that.

Regards,
mmhorii