Topic: wolfSSL_KeyPemToDer

Hello, I'm very new to the world of C programming and I'm working on a project involving an embedded solution.

I'm attempting to use wolfSSL embedded SSL for it's RSA key cryptography abilities. My problem is hopefully a simple one...

Basically, I have a PEM private key file which I am storing as a buffer in the application, as I do not have file system capabilities (as of yet, anyway)
My goal is to decrypt a message using this key. From my understanding, the steps are as follows:

1. Convert the PEM file into a DER using wolfSSL_KeyPemToDer or some similar method
2. Use RsaPrivateKeyDecode to decrypt the message from its encoded state.

I am being hung up on a very common compiler error :
undefined reference to `wolfSSL_KeyPemToDer`

I am including wolfssl/ssl.h, and wolfssl/wolfcrypt/rsa.h.. Is there anything I might be missing, or perhaps a constant I need to define? The method signature appears in wolfssl/ssl.h as:
WOLFSSL_API wolfSSL_KeyPemToDer(const unsigned char* pem, int pemSz, unsigned char* buff,
                       int buffSz, const char* pass)

As I said, I am new to C so I am probably some kind of Noob mistake, but I would appreciate suggestions.. Thanks in advance big_smile

Re: wolfSSL_KeyPemToDer

Hi dtiemann,

wolfSSL_KeyPemToDer() is currently only compiled into wolfSSL if our OpenSSL compatibility layer has been defined when building wolfSSL.

You can enable the compatibility layer by using the --enable-opensslextra ./configure option, or by adding OPENSSL_EXTRA to your list of preprocessor flags.

Can you give this a try and let me know if it works for you?

Thanks,
Chris

Yes! That worked ... Thanks!

Now I'm just struggling to get my PEM String to be read by the wolfSSL_KeyPemToDer function. I keep getting a -4 as a return value.

Hi dtiemann,

A return value of -4 is an SSL_BAD_FILE error.  Can you double check the formatting of your PEM string?  You should have the header and footer and you should have lines separated with a LF or CRLF.

Regards,
Chris