1 (edited by AdamHeavens 2024-01-04 06:32:24)

Topic: Documentation for ESP32-S3

Hello,

Are there any instructions available for using wolfSSL with Visual Studio Code, PlatformIO and ESP32-S3 utilizing the Arduino framework?

I can see instructions for building for Visual Studio, but nothing for Visual Studio Code or ESP32-S3 specific without using the ESP-IDF

Tried to install wolfSSL using the platformio registry which pulls in version 5.5.4 but get the following errors when trying to build.

unknown register name 'r8' in 'asm'
#error "you need to write an os specific wc_GenerateSeed() here"

I am including a wc_GenerateSeed function

// custom_entropy.cpp
#include <wolfssl/wolfcrypt/types.h>
#include <string.h>  // for memcpy

extern "C" {
#include <esp_system.h>
}

// Define the OS_Seed type
typedef struct {
    byte* seed;   // Pointer to the seed buffer
    word32 size;  // Size of the seed buffer
    word32 idx;   // Index to keep track of the position in the seed buffer
} OS_Seed;

// Declaration of the custom wc_GenerateSeed function
int wc_GenerateSeed(OS_Seed* os, byte* seed, word32 sz);

// Implementation of the custom wc_GenerateSeed function
int wc_GenerateSeed(OS_Seed* os, byte* seed, word32 sz)
{
    // Gather entropy using ESP32 SDK functions
    for (word32 i = 0; i < sz; i += sizeof(uint32_t)) {
        uint32_t randomValue = esp_random();
        memcpy(seed + i, &randomValue, sizeof(uint32_t));
    }

return 0; // Success
}

Any help appreciated!

Thanks

Adam

Re: Documentation for ESP32-S3

Hello Adam,

Thanks for joining the wolfSSL forums. I am checking with the team to see if we any relevant docs or examples for ESP32 using Arduino framework.

Could you tell us a bit about your project? If you'd prefer to keep it private, feel free to email support@wolfssl.com

Kind regards,
Eric - wolfSSL Support

Thanks Eric,

Much appreciated.

We are in the process of porting some Certificate Management class' from openssl to wolfSSL due to the limited openssl support on the ESP32. This is being used to handle certificates as part of an EV Charge Point product. So we can implement Vehicle to Grid (V2G) support.

Cheers

Adam

Hi Adam,

The first error:

unknown register name 'r8' in 'asm'

is typically caused at compile time when *all* the files in wolfcrypt/src are attempted to be compiled. There are some assembly files there that are not appropriate on the Xtensa architecture of the ESP32-S3.  Either explicitly listing files, or list exclusions would likely resolve this. I've been working on an ESP8288 makefile that addresses this topic:

https://github.com/gojimmypi/wolfssl/bl … mponent.mk

There's also an example of CMake excluding files those files here:

https://github.com/wolfSSL/wolfssl/blob … s.txt#L210

The next error, possibly also related:

#error "you need to write an os specific wc_GenerateSeed() here"

typically means the compiler does not "know" that the target CPU for wolfSSL code is for the ESP32. This is often a macro definition in the user_settings.h file.

I've been meaning to give more attention to the Arduino platform. Can you provide additional details on your makefiles and the user_settings.h that you are using?

There's a GitHub issue regarding Arduino support:

https://github.com/wolfSSL/wolfssl/issues/6360

Thanks for your interest! I look forward to learning more about your project.

Thank you, that make sense.

I think I may be skipping a basic compilation step as this is installed using the Platform IO registry and there is no 'build' I am specifying build flags as part of the platformio.ini file but not sure this is correct or complete

[env:esp32-s3-devkitc-1]
platform = espressif32
framework = arduino
board_build.filesystem = littlefs
board_upload.flash_size = 8MB
board_build.partitions = default_8MB.csv
board_build.f_flash = 80000000L
board_build.arduino.memory_type = qio_opi
monitor_speed = 115200
board = esp32-s3-devkitc-1
lib_deps = 
    onelife/wolfssl@^5.5.4
build_type = release
build_flags = 
    -DBOARD_HAS_PSRAM
    -DCONFIG_SPIRAM=y
    -DCONFIG_BT_ALLOCATION_FROM_SPIRAM_FIRST=y
    -DCONFIG_SPIRAM_TRY_ALLOCATE_WIFI_LWIP=y
    -DCONFIG_BT_BLE_DYNAMIC_ENV_MEMORY=y
    -DCONFIG_SPIRAM_CACHE_WORKAROUND=y
    -DCONFIG_SPIRAM_USE_MALLOC=y
    -DCONFIG_MBEDTLS_DYNAMIC_BUFFER=1
    -std=c++17
    -std=gnu++17
    -DDOPENSSL_EXTRA
    -DOPENSSL_ALL
build_unflags = -std=gnu++11

There are no makefiles as such with VS Code / PlatformIO

I am not using a user_settings.h preference file as again not sure how this fits with the PlatformIO model or what needs to be included.

Happy to figure out from an Example project or Docs but so far not been successful with locating ether.

Thanks for your time

Cheers

Adam

Hi Adam -

I'm not familiar with the PlatformIO method of building a project. I definitely recommend using the ESP-IDF if at all possible. There are wolfSSL examples here:

https://github.com/wolfSSL/wolfssl/tree … /Espressif

There's also the capability of using Managed Components from the ESP Registry:

https://www.wolfssl.com/wolfssl-now-ava … -registry/

That said, I do think the Arduino projects should at least work. If there's no mechanism for including or excluding files in PlatformIO, there's always the brute force method of simply deleting all the files you don't want to be included (e.g. all the assembly language suffix "*.s" files in wolfcrypt/src)

Additionally, it's really best to use a wolfssl `user_settings.h` file. It gets included by pretty much every wolfssl source file (via wolfcrypt/settings.h) & controls which features are compiled in - such as your missing wc_GenerateSeed().

I suppose it should in theory also work to add "-D" build flags. See the example template user_settings.h:

https://github.com/wolfSSL/wolfssl/blob … settings.h

In particular, you will at least need `-DWOLFSSL_ESPIDF` and `-DWOLFSSL_ESP32` defined project-wide.

If you choose to use the user_settings.h file, I'd probably drop it in place with settings.h in wolfssl/wolfcrypt. When using the ESP-IDF instead, the file belongs in the components/wolfssl/include directory.

If you choose to use the ESP-IDF (you can still edit with VS Code) - I'll be able to help you much more. I'd still like to get the PlatformIO working, but I'll need to spend some time on that. If you can point to your example online, or something similar, that would be helpful to get me started.

Cheers

7 (edited by gojimmypi 2024-01-04 19:18:30)

Hi Adam -

I briefly took a look at using PlatformIO and the Arduino framework for an ESP32 wolfSSL project. It's an interesting environment.

The first thing that should be emphasized is that the

lib_deps = 
    onelife/wolfssl@^5.5.4

... and located here: https://registry.platformio.org/librari … fe/wolfssl

...is *not* an official wolfSSL source code (and in fact rather stale), and is *not* maintained by wolfSSL staff.

Still, I understand there's no other alternative there... so I've taken a look at why it does not work. I was able to quickly reproduce your error. A variety of relatively minor changes are needed - mostly file deletions & a couple of edits. I've summarized what it took here:

https://github.com/gojimmypi/wolfssl/tr … PlatformIO

Here's the included README.md for future reference & I've attached the `user_settings.h` that I used:

This is a supplementary suggestion to [this forum question] regarding PlatformIO and the wolfSSL library.

Here are some tips to get it working:

Given a VS Code `[project]` directory, these changes are needed:

## Edit `[project]\.pio\libdeps\esp32dev\wolfssl\src\wolfcrypt\src`

delete all the `*.i` files

delete these files:
`sp_arm32.c`
`sp_arm64.c`
`sp_armthumb.c`
`sp_c32.c`
`sp_c64.c`
`sp_cortexm.c`
`sp_dsp32.c`
`sp_x86_64.c`
`sp_cortexm.c`

(do NOT delete `sp_int.c`)

## Edit `[project]\.pio\libdeps\esp32dev\wolfssl\src\wolfcrypt\src\port`

Delete all of the directories EXCEPT `Atmel` and `Espressif`

## Edit `[project]\.pio\libdeps\esp32dev\wolfssl\src\wolfcrypt\`

Delete `test` and `benchmark` directories

## Edit `[project]\.pio\libdeps\esp32dev\wolfssl\src\user_settings.h`

See the enclosed [user_settings.h](./user_settings.h) - copy it to:

`[project]\.pio\libdeps\esp32dev\wolfssl\src\user_settings.h`

## Edit `[project]\.pio\libdeps\esp32dev\wolfssl\src\wolfssl\wolfcrypt\wolf_crypt_settings.h`

Comment out the `#define FREERTOS` in the `#if defined(WOLFSSL_ESPIDF)` section, on or around line 333.

```c
#if defined(WOLFSSL_ESPIDF)
    /* #define FREERTOS */
```

Please give that a try and let me know how it goes.

Cheers

*edit: I've been unable to attach a file. Please see the one at the GitHub link, above.

Hi gojimmypi,

Thank you for taking the time to do this, very much appreciate the support. wolfSSL 5.5.4 now builds correctly in my project. That was just the steps I needed and gives me more of an insight into wolfSSL configuration.

Are there any plans to have an official version published by wolfSSL in the PlatformIO registry? Happy to help with that if I can.

If not I can directly integrate from the GitHub repo will just need to figure out how to build but I expect that is easier now I have the correct user_settings.h to use.

Looks like it would be worth the time as I can see some of the newer commits include enhanced support on the ESP32-S3.

Cheers

Adam

9 (edited by AdamHeavens 2024-01-05 07:34:13)

After putting my class' back to utilise the newly integrated wolfSSL, I get the following error when building

#error directive: "No encryption algorithm available for default ticket encryption."

I have added the following to platformio.ini build flags

build_flags = 
    -DSINGLE_THREADED
    -DHAVE_ECC
    -DWOLFSSL_SMALL_STACK
    -DWOLFSSL_ESPIDF
    -DWOLFSSL_ESP32
    -DOPENSSL_EXTRA
    -DOPENSSL_ALL
    -DHAVE_TLS_EXTENSIONS
    -DHAVE_SUPPORTED_CURVES

Cheers

Adam

Hi Adam -

That's excellent you've made progress!

I suggest putting them in the `user_settings.h` instead:

#define SINGLE_THREADED
#define HAVE_ECC
#define WOLFSSL_SMALL_STACK
#define WOLFSSL_ESPIDF
#define WOLFSSL_ESP32
#define OPENSSL_EXTRA
#define OPENSSL_ALL
#define HAVE_TLS_EXTENSIONS
#define HAVE_SUPPORTED_CURVES

I've updated my sample `user_settings.h` here:

https://github.com/gojimmypi/wolfssl/bl … ings.h#L39

I get the following error when building
#error directive: "No encryption algorithm available for default ticket encryption."

The library for wolfSSL is highly tunable. See the documentation for details on the options available:

https://www.wolfssl.com/documentation/m … ave_aesgcm

One possible solution to the error you are seeing is to turn on AESGCM in `user_settings.h` like this:

#define HAVE_AESGCM

Please let me know if that works for you.

Cheers!

AdamHeavens wrote:

Hi gojimmypi,

Are there any plans to have an official version published by wolfSSL in the PlatformIO registry?

I'd personally like to see an official version. So far, there's been relatively little demand, particularly considering how well documented and polished the ESP-IDF is these days. The best way is to voice the desire:  support@wolfssl.com

Cheers

gojimmypi wrote:

Hi Adam -

That's excellent you've made progress!

I suggest putting them in the `user_settings.h` instead:

#define SINGLE_THREADED
#define HAVE_ECC
#define WOLFSSL_ESPIDF
#define WOLFSSL_ESP32
#define OPENSSL_EXTRA
#define OPENSSL_ALL

I've updated my sample `user_settings.h` here:

https://github.com/gojimmypi/wolfssl/bl … ings.h#L39

I get the following error when building

The library for wolfSSL is highly tunable. See the documentation for details on the options available:

https://www.wolfssl.com/documentation/m … ave_aesgcm

One possible solution to the error you are seeing is to turn on AESGCM in `user_settings.h` like this:

#define HAVE_AESGCM

Please let me know if that works for you.

Cheers!

Thank you, I have updated the user_settings.h and added HAVE_AESGCM and this has enabled me to build the project. I can now proceed with testing the implementation.

Many thanks for your support

Cheers

Adam

gojimmypi wrote:
AdamHeavens wrote:

Hi gojimmypi,

Are there any plans to have an official version published by wolfSSL in the PlatformIO registry?

I'd personally like to see an official version. So far, there's been relatively little demand, particularly considering how well documented and polished the ESP-IDF is these days. The best way is to voice the desire:  support@wolfssl.com

Cheers

Will do that now, thanks again

Cheers

Adam

Hi Adam -

How's your evaluation coming along? Will you have any customers in China? One of the things to consider is wolfSSL SM Chinese ShangMi support:

https://www.wolfssl.com/wolfssl-adds-sh … wolfcrypt/

I have that working for the ESP32, but the samples need just a little fine tuning with regards to the static sample certs.

Heads up I received approval to work on an official wolfssl repository for PlatformIO.

Status will be tracked at GitHub issue #85 for platformio/platformio-registry here:

https://github.com/platformio/platformi … /issues/85

I need to wrap up a few other items before I get started on that, but in the meantime please let me know if there's anything else I can do to help you.

Cheers

15 (edited by AdamHeavens 2024-01-09 08:19:09)

Hi gojimmypi,

Thanks for checking in, yes we certainly will. One of the reasons I am looking at wolfSSL is that we can tailor the SSL/TLS requirements per geographic region or client base.

That is great news and look I forward to using a later build as we keep getting some weird random build issues which is slowing down integration/testing.

For example

wolfssl/openssl/sha.h:73:25: error: conflicting declaration 'typedef WOLFSSL_SHA_CTX SHA_CTX'

Also had to implement custom rand generate block as the #error "you need to write an os specific wc_GenerateSeed() here" error returned. This is with the same user_settings.h as before.

-DCUSTOM_RAND_GENERATE_BLOCK=custom_rand_generate_block
#include "helper/custom_rand.h"

#include <esp_system.h>

int custom_rand_generate_block(byte *output, word32 sz, WC_RNG *rng)
{

word32 rand;
    while (sz > 0)
    {
        word32 len = sizeof(rand);
        if (sz < len)
            len = sz;
        /* Get one random 32-bit word from hw RNG */
        rand = esp_random();
        XMEMCPY(output, &rand, len);
        output += len;
        sz -= len;
    }

return 0; // Return success (0) or appropriate error code
}

Admittedly we are in the process of porting from openssl to wolfSSL so may be us, but some of the weird build issues have been resolved by simply closing the IDE and re-opening.

So hopefully the latest supported version of wolfSSL will help resolve some of these integration issues.

Cheers

Adam

Hi Adam -

wolfSSL is that we can tailor the SSL/TLS requirements per geographic region or client base

Indeed! That's definitely an awesome feature of wolfSSL.

The odd build problems are not a surprise. The source on PlatformIO is not official, and I cannot even confirm it is genuine wolfSSL source. Without seeing your source code, it is hard to say for sure what's going on. I'd like to help.

I'm certain the hardware random number generator is implemented for all of the ESP32 devices. I suspect he problem you are encountering is related to the user_settings.h values.

Is there a serious and compelling reason to use the Arduino platform? I'd like to again emphasize the robustness of the Espressif ESP-IDF. I noticed at project creation time that PlatformIO will use either Arduino or ESP-IDF. If you use the ESP-IDF, we'd be able to help you much more. I'll be working on improving Arduino integration, that's admittedly not great at the moment.

I'd also like to invite you to open any issues on GitHub as appropriate, including one regarding your request for Arduino support:

https://github.com/wolfSSL/wolfssl/issues

Regarding your migration from OpenSSL: we have several engineers on staff that have a great amount of experience with that. Professional engineering and consulting services are available to help you with your implementation.

I'm glad you are making progress on your evaluation and look forward to learning more.

Best Regards

Jim

Thanks Jim,

gojimmypi wrote:

Hi Adam -

Is there a serious and compelling reason to use the Arduino platform? I'd like to again emphasize the robustness of the Espressif ESP-IDF. I noticed at project creation time that PlatformIO will use either Arduino or ESP-IDF. If you use the ESP-IDF, we'd be able to help you much more. I'll be working on improving Arduino integration, that's admittedly not great at the moment.

I will look at how much work it would be for us to move to ESP-IDF as I can't think of a reason off hand why we can't migrate to it. As I think we are seeing limitations of the Arduino Framework.

Cheers

Adam

Hi,

We have moved the project to use the esp-idf framework rather then Arduino, have to say it was a great recommendation as the there is far greater control.

Is there any instructions for integrating wolfSSL into VSCode / PlatformIO with esp-idf or is it simply a matter of copying the same user-settings.h into the managed_components/wolfssl__wolfssl folder?

idf.py add-dependency "wolfssl/wolfssl^5.6.6-stable-update2-esp32"

Cheers

Adam

Hi Adam -

Good to hear about your progress and continued interest!

At the moment, I don't yet have any good instructions for VS Code & PlatformIO. But I do have a major update in the works to publish an official wolfSSL to both Ardiuno and PlatformIO sites, along with improved Arduino examples. Stay tuned. smile

Would you happen to be using Windows? If so, I highly recommend the VisualGDB extension for Visual Studio. I've found it to be an incredibly productive development environment tool. Couple that with the Tigard JTAG board and there's an excellent ESP32 debugger for single step, breakpoints, variable inspection, memory & register peeking and more.

I gave a YouTube webinar last year on this topic that you may find helpful:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzwA3ZBZBZ8

Although the ESP Registry is awesome for getting started, it is not as robust as I want for ongoing development. I need to further develop the KConfig to make changes via the ESP-IDF menuconfig, as otherwise the user_settings.h file in a managed component cannot be edited.

There are some Espressif examples to help get started with the ESP-IDF here:

https://github.com/wolfSSL/wolfssl/tree … F/examples

Note in particular that wolfSSL does not need to be installed in the local project. See the CMakeLists.txt file in components/wolfssl directory.

The user_settings.h is then found in this directory:

[your project]/components/wolfssl/include

As you move forward, please note that wolfSSL offers special pre-sales support to help get your project kickstarted.

Cheers

Jim

Thank you, I didn't realize VisualGDB had embedded support. I will look at moving to VS and VisualGDB now we are using ESP-IDF as documentation and control appears to be much better and we have a heavy TLS requirement with the ISO15118 (V2G) integrations so would benefit later on I think.

Thank you for your support and sharing your experience, much appreciated.

Cheers

Adam

Hi Jim,

Can I check if I am missing any steps here, I have now imported the project to VS with VisualGDB. However I can't get the build to complete due to wolfSSL dependencies.

I have completed the following

Git clone wolfSSL to local folder
Ran the following wolfssl\IDE\Espressif\ESP-IDF> .\setup_win.bat C:\SysGCC\esp32\esp-idf\v5.1 which copies the files into the component directory in the ESP-IDF framework. This creates a user_seetings.h file in \wolfssl\IDE\Espressif\ESP-IDF>

Edited user_settings.h to include 

#define SINGLE_THREADED
#define HAVE_ECC
#define WOLFSSL_ESPIDF
#define WOLFSSL_ESP32
#define OPENSSL_EXTRA
#define OPENSSL_ALL
#define HAVE_AESGCM

I then try to build the project in VS. Do I need to complete any other steps to get wolfSSL to build

Cheers

Adam

Hi Adam -

I'm so sorry to hear you are still struggling with the setup. I'll make the instructions more clean on GitHub.

I'll also check the setup script later today.

Can you tell me the exact error you are seeing?

In the meantime, I think the best method is to use the existing examples.

I suggest:

1) Remove the wolfSSL compoenent that was installed to the ESP-IDF with the script.

2) Copy the sample project component directory tree and all files to your `[project root]/components/` directory:

https://github.com/wolfSSL/wolfssl/tree … ts/wolfssl

3) Set an environment variable called WOLFSSL_ROOT (or edit the CMakeLists.txt variable of the same name) to point to the wolfssl source.

For example if you've git-cloned wolfssl from a d:\workspace directory and used the default repo name:

WOLFSSL_ROOT="d:\workspace\wolfssl"

Or see cmake examples:

https://github.com/wolfSSL/wolfssl/blob … ts.txt#L53

Your wolfSSL user_settings.h file would then be in your:

[project]/components/wolfssl/include

Like this one:

https://github.com/wolfSSL/wolfssl/tree … sl/include

Let me know how that goes.  If you still see errors, please post them here or open a GitHub issue.

Best Regards,

Jim

Thanks,

I have removed the wolfSSL folder from the components folder under ESP-IDF, and copied wolfSSL to the components folder within my project. I have also set an Environment variable for WOLFSSL_ROOT as below:

WOLFSSL_ROOT = d:\ThirdParty\wolfssl

Which is where I have the cloned version. I have also tried with

WOLFSSL_ROOT = "d:\ThirdParty\wolfssl"
WOLFSSL_ROOT = d:/ThirdParty/wolfssl

But get the following is VS now

Error    
WOLFSSL_ROOT Environment Variable defined, but path not found: <PROJECTNAME> D:\Projects\<PROJECTNAME>\components\wolfssl\CMakeLists.txt 88  

Cheers

Adam

24 (edited by gojimmypi 2024-01-19 12:02:01)

Hi Adam -

Oh! An excellent find. Thank you for pointing that out. I'll get a PR together right away to fix it.

TL;DR: There's a mistake in the component cmake file:

[project]/components/wolfssl/CMakeLists.txt

Change line 85 of the template CMakeLists.txt file:

https://github.com/wolfSSL/wolfssl/blob … ts.txt#L85

Specifically: replace the

if("${FOUND_WOLFSSL}")

with:

if( FOUND_WOLFSSL )

In more detail, Here's what I did:

In my C:\test directory, I created an "Adam" directory, and cloned wolfSSL into it:

c:\test\adam\wolfssl

Also in my C:\test directory, I created a "MyProject" directory: 

c:\test\myproject.

(for now, let's make sure there are no spaces in any of the paths)

I copied the contents of the sample template project:

C:\test\adam\wolfssl\IDE\Espressif\ESP-IDF\examples\template 

to the c:\test\myproject directory.

There should now be a VisualGDB directory, here:

C:\test\myproject\VisualGDB

I used the system control panel applet to set the environment variables:

Variable Name:
WOLFSSL_ROOT

Variable Value:
C:\test\adam\wolfssl

make sure there are no embedded spaces, particularly if using commandline:

WOLFSSL_ROOT=C:\test\adam\wolfssl

Open the VisualGDB project:

C:\test\myproject\VisualGDB\wolfssl_template_IDF_v5.1_ESP32.vgdbproj

(observe error at project load time)

Edit the cmake file as described above.

C:\test\myproject\components\wolfssl\CMakeLists.txt

Right click and reload the project. All should be well now.

Please give that a try and let me know how it goes.

My sincere apologies for this problem. Best Regards.

Jim

edit: I've created GitHub issue 7148 to fix this.

https://github.com/wolfSSL/wolfssl/pull/7148

25 (edited by AdamHeavens 2024-01-19 12:06:27)

I have updated line 85 and reloaded the project. I now get the following error, there is no spaces in the path?

-

- USERNAME = AdamHeavens
-- THIS_USER = AdamHeavens
-- ************************************************************************************************
-- wolfssl component config:
-- ************************************************************************************************
-- Starting FIND_WOLFSSL_DIRECTORY
-- Found WOLFSSL_ROOT via Environment Variable:
-- CMAKE_CURRENT_SOURCE_DIR = .
-- CURRENT_SEARCH_DIR = D:/Projects/<PROJECTNAME>/components/wolfssl
-- Looking in D:/Projects/<PROJECTNAME>/components/wolfssl
-- Next CURRENT_SEARCH_DIR = D:/Projects/<PROJECTNAME>/components
-- Looking in D:/Projects/<PROJECTNAME>/components
-- Next CURRENT_SEARCH_DIR = D:/Projects/<PROJECTNAME>
-- Looking in D:/Projects/<PROJECTNAME>
-- Next CURRENT_SEARCH_DIR = D:/Projects
-- Looking in D:/Projects
-- Next CURRENT_SEARCH_DIR = D:/
-- Looking in D:/
-- Next CURRENT_SEARCH_DIR = D:/
-- NEW wolfssl directory not found.
CMake Error at components/wolfssl/CMakeLists.txt:176 (message):
  Could not find wolfssl in .

Try setting WOLFSSL_ROOT environment variable or git clone.

Cheers

Adam