wolfSSL v5.2.0 is available for download.
This release includes a fix for a vulnerability in our TLSv1.3 implementation. For additional vulnerability information visit the vulnerability page at https://www.wolfssl.com/docs/security-vulnerabilities/.
Included are many API expansions and some updates. The SP Math library has more performance improvements, including speedups for X448 and Ed448. We have removed three little used algorithms. We have also added AES-SIV, DTLS SRTP, and SipHash.
- [High] A TLS v1.3 server who requires mutual authentication can be bypassed. If a malicious client does not send the certificate_verify message a client can connect without presenting a certificate even if the server requires one. Thank you to Aina Toky Rasoamanana and Olivier Levillain of Télécom SudParis. CVE-2022-25640
- [High] A TLS v1.3 client attempting to authenticate a TLS v1.3 server can have its certificate check bypassed. If the sig_algo in the certificate_verify message is different than the certificate message checking may be bypassed. Thank you to Aina Toky Rasoamanana and Olivier Levillain of Télécom SudParis. CVE-2022-25638
New Feature Additions
- Example applications for Renesas RX72N with FreeRTOS+IoT
- Renesas FSP 3.5.0 support for RA6M3
- For TLS 1.3, improved checks on order of received messages.
- Support for use of SHA-3 cryptography instructions available in ARMv8.2-A architecture extensions. (For Apple M1)
- Support for use of SHA-512 cryptography instructions available in ARMv8.2-A architecture extensions. (For Apple M1)
- Fixes for clang -Os on clang >= 12.0.0
- Expose Sequence Numbers so that Linux TLS (kTLS) can be configured
- Fix bug in TLSX_ALPN_ParseAndSet when using ALPN select callback.
- Allow DES3 with FIPS v5-dev.
- Include HMAC for deterministic ECC sign build
- Add –enable-chrony configure option. This sets build options needed to build the Chrony NTP (Network Time Protocol) service.
- Add support for STM32U575xx boards.
- Fixes for NXP’s SE050 Ed25519/Curve25519.
- TLS: Secure renegotiation info on by default for compatibility.
- Inline C code version of ARM32 assembly for cryptographic algorithms available and compiling for improved performance on ARM platforms
- Configure HMAC: define NO_HMAC to disable HMAC (default: enabled)
- ISO-TP transport layer support added to wolfio for TLS over CAN Bus
- Fix initialization bug in SiLabs AES support
- Domain and IP check is only performed on leaf certificates
ARM PSA Support (Platform Security Architecture) API
- Initial support added for ARM’s Platform Security Architecture (PSA) API in wolfCrypt which allows support of ARM PSA enabled devices by wolfSSL, wolfSSH, and wolfBoot and wolfCrypt FIPS.
- Included algorithms: ECDSA, ECDH, HKDF, AES, SHA1, SHA256, SHA224, RNG
- Support for more encryption algorithms: AES-256-CBC, AES-128-CTR, AES-256-CTR
- Support for compressed public keys in messages.
- Improved performance of X448 and Ed448 through inlining Karatsuba in square and multiplication operations for 128-bit implementation (64-bit platforms with 128-bit type support).
- SP Math C implementation: fix for corner case in curve specific implementations of Montgomery Reduction (P-256, P-384).
- SP math all: assembly snippets added for ARM Thumb. Performance improvement on platform.
- SP math all: ARM64/32 sp_div_word assembly snippets added to remove dependency on __udiv3.
- SP C implementation: multiplication of two signed types with overflow is undefined in C. Now cast to unsigned type before multiplication is performed.
- SP C implementation correctly builds when using CFLAG: -m32
OpenSSL Compatibility Layer
- Added DH_get_2048_256 to compatibility layer.
- wolfSSLeay_version now returns the version of wolfSSL
- Added C++ exports for API’s in wolfssl/openssl/crypto.h. This allows better compatibility when building with a C++ compiler.
- Fix for OpenSSL x509_NAME_hash mismatch
- Implement FIPS_mode and FIPS_mode_set in the compat layer.
- Fix for certreq and certgen options with openssl compatibility
- wolfSSL_BIO_dump() and wolfSSL_OBJ_obj2txt() rework
- Fix IV length bug in EVP AES-GCM code.
- Add new ASN1_INTEGER compatibility functions.
- Fix wolfSSL_PEM_X509_INFO_read with NO_FILESYSTEM
- Check for valid override values.
- Add `KEYGEN` option.
- Cleanup help messages.
- Add options to support wolfTPM.
- Remove deprecated VS solution
- Fix VS unreachable code warning
New Algorithms and Protocols
- AES-SIV (RFC 5297)
- DTLS SRTP (RFC 5764), used with WebRTC to agree on profile for new real-time session keys
- SipHash MAC/PRF for hash tables. Includes inline assembly for x86_64 and Aarch64.
Remove Obsolete Algorithms
If this adversely affects you or your customers, please get in contact with the wolfSSL team. (firstname.lastname@example.org)
For additional vulnerability information visit the vulnerability page at https://www.wolfssl.com/docs/security-vulnerabilities/
A full list of what was changed can be found in the wolfSSL ChangeLog (https://www.wolfssl.com/docs/wolfssl-changelog/).