wolfMQTT Client Library
MQTT (Message Queuing Telemetry Transport) is a lightweight open messaging protocol that was developed for constrained environments such as M2M (Machine to Machine) and IoT (Internet of Things), where a small code footprint is required. MQTT is based on the Pub/Sub messaging principle of publishing messages and subscribing to topics. The protocol efficiently packs messages to keep the overhead very low. The MQTT specification recommends TLS as a transport option to secure the protocol using port 8883 (secure-mqtt). Constrained devices can benefit from using TLS session resumption to reduce the reconnection cost.
The wolfMQTT library is a client implementation of the MQTT written in C for embedded use. It supports SSL/TLS via the wolfSSL library. It was built from the ground up to be multi-platform, space conscience and extensible. It supports all Packet Types, all Quality of Service (QoS) levels 0-2 and supports SSL/TLS using the wolfSSL library. This implementation is based on the MQTT v3.1.1 specification.
wolfMQTT is built for maximum portability, and is generally very easy to compile on new platforms. If your desired platform is not listed under the supported operating environments, please contact wolfSSL at [email protected].
- Based on MQTT v3.1.1 specification
- QoS Levels 0-2
- Support for TCP or TLS
- Examples Available
- Support Available
- Small size: 3.6kB
- Able to leverage lightweight wolfSSL embedded SSL/TLS library
- Simple API
- Written in native C89
- Minimal external dependencies
- Less than 1200 lines of code
Platform and Language Support
wolfMQTT is built for maximum portability and is generally very easy to compile on new platforms. If your desired platform is not listed under the supported operating environments, please contact us.
wolfMQTT supports the C programming language as a primary interface. If you have interest in using wolfMQTT in another programming language that it does not currently supported, please contact us.
Support packages for wolfMQTT are available on an annual basis directly from wolfSSL. With three different package options, you can compare them side-by-side and choose the package that best fits your specific needs. Please see our Support Packages page for more details or contact us with any questions.
wolfSSL Training Course
Interested in getting trained by the wolfSSL team on subjects related to wolfSSL and SSL/TLS? Learn more.
- Built from scratch by wolfSSL engineers
- Based on MQTT v3.1.1 specification
- Supports all client side packet types and protocol options
- QoS Levels 0-2 (guaranteed delivery)
- Supports plain TCP or TLS (via the wolfSSL library)
- Single threaded model and single message callback
- Written in Native C89 with portability/compatibility in mind
- Space conscience design (Compiled size is about 3.6kB)
- User manual with build instructions, example overview, and API documentation
- Example MQTT client implementations
- Network interface is abstracted via callbacks for extensibility
- Packet parsing encoding/decoding structured for custom use
- Minimal external dependencies (strlen, memcpy, memset)
- Detailed error checking/handling
- Doxygen style inline documentation
- Less than 1200 lines of well structured C code
- Tested on multiple variants of MQTT broker servers, QoS levels 0-2 with/without TLS
- Tested on Linux, Mac OS X, and Freescale Kinetis K64
- Inherits wolfSSL library features such as lightweight TLS using ChaCha20/Poly1305 AEAD, small size and portability
- Open source (GPLv2)
- Example Arduino IDE project
- Example UART interface for wolfMQTT
Supported Operating Environments
- Win32/64, Linux, Mac OS X, embedded Linux, FreeRTOS.
- If you would like to test wolfSSL on another environment, let us know and we’ll be happy to support you.